Monday, February 25, 2008

Academy Awards Acceptance Speeches

You know how it goes. The winners are announced then they scramble to the stage and try to express their gratitude to the people who helped them win the award. Then the pesky music sneaks in and they get cut off unceremoniously. Here are the transcript of this year's acceptance speeches at the recently concluded 80th Academy Awards. so we can better understand what they truly said that night.

CATEGORY: BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
SPEECH BY: SCOTT RUDIN, ETHAN COEN AND JOEL COEN
FILM: "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"
Scott Rudin:
This is an unbelievable honor and a complete surprise. So many people have a part of this, chief among them Cormac McCarthy, who wrote a wonderful book that it was an honor to make into a movie. The three men sitting down front, Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, without them there would be no movie.

These two gentlemen [to Joel and Ethan Coen], I can't think of anybody I would rather be standing here with than the two of you. Thank you so much for this.

Everybody at Vantage and Miramax who financed the movie together.
The entire team at Miramax who did a brilliant, brilliant job telling it. Thank you to all of them. I want to thank Mark Roybal, It's a pleasure to work with him every
day. I want to thank my friend, Sydney Pollack, who taught me that with the responsibility -- with the opportunity to make movies comes the responsibility of making them good. This for him.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
SPEECH BY: JOEL COEN AND ETHAN COEN
FILM: "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"
Ethan Coen:
I don't have a lot to add to what I said earlier. Thank you.

Joel Coen:
Ethan and I have been making stories with movie cameras since we were kids. In the late '60s when Ethan was 11 or 12, he got a suit and a briefcase and we went to the Minneapolis International Airport with a Super 8 camera and made a movie about shuttle diplomacy called "Henry Kissinger, Man on the Go." And honestly, what we do
now doesn't feel that much different from what we were doing then.
There are too many people to thank for this. We're really thrilled to have received it, and we're very thankful to all of you out there for letting us continue to play in our corner of the sandbox, so thank you very much.



CATEGORY: PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
SPEECH BY: DANIEL DAY-LEWIS
FILM: "THERE WILL BE BLOOD"
And that's the closest I'll ever come to getting a knighthood, so
thank you.

My deepest thanks to the members of the Academy for whacking me with the handsomest bludgeon in town. I'm looking at this gorgeous thing you've given me and I'm thinking back to the first devilish whisper of an idea that came to him and everything since and it seems to me that this sprang like a golden sapling out of the mad, beautiful head of Paul Thomas Anderson.

I wish my son and my partner HW Plainview were up here with me, the mighty Dillon Freasier. So many people to thank. One amongst them would be Mrs. Plainview down there, the enchantingly optimistic, open-minded and beautiful Rebecca Miller.

I hope that all those to whom I owe and to whom I feel the deepest gratitude will forgive me if I say just simply, "Thank you, Paul."

I've been thinking a lot about fathers and sons in the course of this, and I'd like to accept this in the memory of my grandfather, Michael Balcon, my father, Cecil Day-Lewis, and my three fine boys, Gabriel, Ronan and Cashel. Thank you very much indeed. Thank you.


CATEGORY: PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
SPEECH BY: MARION COTILLARD
FILM: "LA VIE EN ROSE"
Oh -- thank you so much. Olivier, what you did to me, Maestro Olivier Dahan, you rocked my life. You truly rocked my life. Thank you so much to Picturehouse for your passion, members of the Academy, thank you so, so much. And -- wow. Well, I'm speechless now. I -- I -- well, I -- thank you life, thank you love, and it is true, there is some angels in this city. Thank you so, so much.



CATEGORY: PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
SPEECH BY: TILDA SWINTON
FILM: "MICHAEL CLAYTON"
Oh, no. Happy birthday, man. I have an American agent who is the spitting image of this. Really truly the same shape head and, it has to be said, the buttocks.

And I'm giving this to him because there's no way I would be in America at all ever on a plane, if it wasn't for him. So, Brian Swardstrom, I'm giving this to you. And Tony Gilroy walks on water, it's entirely official as far as I'm concerned, and Jen Fox and Steve Samuels, our incredible producers.

And Sydney Pollack, and George Clooney, you know, the seriousness and the dedication to your art, seeing you climb into that rubber bat suit from "Batman & Robin," the one with the nipples, every morning under your costume, on the set, off the set, hanging upside - down at lunch, you rock, man.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.


CATEGORY: PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
SPEECH BY: JAVIER BARDEM
FILM: "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"
Wow. Alright, this is very amazing. It's a great honor for me to have this. I want to & I have to speak fast here, man. Thank you to the Coens for being crazy enough to think that I could do that and put one of the most horrible haircuts in history over my head.

Thank you for really proving my work. I want to share this with the cast, with the great Tommy Lee Jones, with the great Josh Brolin, with the great Kelly MacDonald. And I want to dedicate this to my mother, and I have to say this in Spanish, and I'm sorry ... [Speaking in Spanish]

Thank you very much!


CATEGORY: ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
SPEECH BY: DIABLO CODY
FILM: "JUNO"
What is happening? This is for the writers, and I want to thank all the writers. I especially want to thank my fellow nominees because I worship you guys and I'm learning from you every day, so thank you very much. I want to thank the Academy, I want to thank Fox Searchlight, Mr. Mudd, Mandate, Dan Dubiecki. I want to thank our
incredible cast including the superhuman Ellen Page. I want to thank Jason Reitman, who I consider a member of my family, and I'm in awe of his talent as a filmmaker. I want to thank Sarah Self. I want to thank Mason Novick who knew I could do this before I did. And most of all, I want to thank my family for loving me exactly the way I am.


CATEGORY: BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
SPEECH BY: CYNTHIA WADE AND VANESSA ROTH
FILM: "FREEHELD"
Cynthia Wade:
Thank you. It was Lieutenant Laurel Hester's dying wish that her fight for, against discrimination would make a difference for all the same sex couples across the country that face discrimination every day. Discrimination that I don't face as a married woman. Sheila Nevins and HBO for making this film have a broadcast and a
home on Cinemax later this year. To my husband Matthew Syrett, who took care of our children and held down a full-time job so that we could make this film. And to our incredible team in New York, thank you so much.

Vanessa Roth:
And to all our supporters and families who believe that even a 38-minute movie could change minds and lives and our children who remind us about what's really important. And to Stacie, who's here tonight, who's really auto mechanic by day but hero in life who always did what was right. And she's here tonight. So thank you so
much.

Cynthia Wade:
Thank you.

Vanessa Roth:
Thank you.y'all standing on the shoulders, we know this, of Daniel Day-Lewis, who isn't here right now, but thank you all so much. Thank you. And Helen. Thank you so much.


CATEGORY: BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
SPEECH BY: ALEX GIBNEY AND EVA ORNER
FILM: "TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE"
Alex Gibney:
Wow. Thank you very much, Academy. Here's to all doc filmmakers. And, truth is, I think my dear wife Anne was kind of hoping I'd make a romantic comedy, but honestly, after Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib, extraordinary rendition that simply wasn't possible. This is dedicated to two people who are no longer with us, Dilawar, the young Afghan taxi driver, and my father, a Navy interrogator who urged me to make this film because of his fury about what was being done to the rule of law. Let's hope we can turn this country around, move away from the dark side and back to the light. Thank you very much.


CATEGORY: Achievement in cinematography
SPEECH BY: Robert Elswit
FILM: "There Will Be Blood"
John Toll won this a number of years ago said that the production designer on his movie, that 50% of it belonged to him. Well, 80% belongs to Jack Fisk and his production crew. And David Crank and Dylan Tichenor. But it really, we all know it really, really belongs to Paul. That this is his imagination and his energy and his
extraordinary vision. It sort of enabled us to create the world of "There Will Be Blood." Thank you, Paul. We're really all standing on the shoulders, we know this, of Daniel Day-Lewis, who isn't here right now, but thank you all so much. Thank you. And Helen. Thank you so much.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SCORE)
SPEECH BY: DARIO MARIANELLI
FILM: "ATONEMENT"
Well, that was a very long walk, it felt like. I feel like -- I'm a very lucky man. Thank you very much, Academy. I'm very lucky because I was part of a fantastic group of people that made a fantastic film. It's called "movie" because it's a moving film. I'm really grateful, above all to Joe Wright, the director, to have included me in this fantastic group of gifted people. I'm very grateful to my good friends for supporting me through lots of things, through these years, and my family, who I love very much. My girls, and my father and my mother. Thank you for passing on a very deep and strong love of music. Thank you.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SONG)
SPEECH BY: GLEN HANSARD AND MARKETA IRGLOVA
FILM: "FALLING SLOWLY" FROM "ONCE"
Glen Hansard:
Thanks! This is amazing. What are we doing here? This is mad. We made this film two years ago. We shot on two Handycams. It took us three weeks to make. We made it for a hundred grand. We never thought we would come into a room like this and be in front of you people. It's been an amazing thing. Thanks for taking this film seriously, all of you. It means a lot to us. Thanks to the Academy, thanks to all the people who've helped us, they know who they are, we don't need to say them. This is amazing. Make art. Make art. Thanks.

Marketa Irglova:
Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you.


CATEGORY: BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
SPEECH BY: STEFAN RUZOWITZKY
FILM: "THE COUNTERFEITERS" (AUSTRIA)
Thank you very much. There have been some great Austrian filmmakers working here, thinking of Billy Wilder, Fred Zinnemann, Otto Preminger, most of them had to leave my country because of the Nazis, so it sort of makes sense that the first Austrian movie to win an Oscar is about the Nazis' crimes. Making this movie, I had a most brilliant cast, a wonderful crew, the best of all families to support me at home, so actually, it was easy for me. Thank you very much.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING
SPEECH BY: CHRISTOPHER ROUSE
FILM: "THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM"
Forty-eight years ago, my father was privileged enough to receive an Oscar, and I'm deeply, deeply honored that you put me in his company tonight. To the brilliant Paul Greengrass, to Frank Marshall, thank you, thank you, thank you. To everybody in post-production, led by my good friend and colleague, Mark Fitzgerald, each and every one of you share in this award with me. To Universal Pictures, to the Academy, my deepest, deepest thanks. To the amazing Matt Damon, thank you. And to my family, especially Anne, Anno, Ava and Fiona. My kids, I love you. Thank you so, so much.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING
SPEECH BY: SCOTT MILLAN, DAVID PARKER AND KIRK FRANCIS
FILM: "THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM"
Scott Millan:
Would it be all right to kiss Halle Berry now? We'd like to thank the Academy, certainly, Per and Karen, just thank you, principally everybody, Frank Marshall, Pat Crowley. Our director, Paul Greengrass. Chris Rouse, our picture editor. Everybody at Universal, Per and Karen, of course. Everybody at Todd AO, our team there.

And I'd like to add one thing, kind of a somber note, this last week we lost a colleague and a friend, who was also a member of the Board of Governors here at the Academy, his name is Paul Huntsman. I would like to dedicate this to Paul. So, thank you very much.

David Parker:
Thanks to everyone who worked on sound for the film and thanks to the Academy. Thank you very much.


CATEGORY: Achievement in sound editing
SPEECH BY: Karen Baker Landers and Per Hallberg
FILM: "The Bourne Ultimatum"
Karen Baker Landers:
Oh my God, I went blank. It's such an honor to be here. I want to thank, we want to thank the Academy. We want to thank Universal Studios.

Per Hallberg:
And the pleasure of doing something like this with filmmakers like Paul, and I'm blanking out, too.

Karen Baker Landers:
Frank Marshall

Per Hallberg:
Pat Crowley

Karen Baker Landers:
Pat Crowley

Per Hallberg:
Chris Rouse

Karen Baker Landers:
Chris Rouse. Paul Greengrass.

Per Hallberg:
You said that already.

Karen Baker Landers:
Mixers. Scott Millan, David Parker. We planned this and we blew it.

Per Hallberg:
And, anyway, most of all, we want to thank the crew that works with
us every day.

Karen Baker Landers:
Yes, gosh, Chris Assells, Dan Hegeman, I know, I know, music. Thank you so much.

Per Hallberg:
Thank you, thank you.



CATEGORY: ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
SPEECH BY: JOEL COEN & ETHAN COEN
FILM: "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"
Joel Coen:
Thank you very much for this. Thank you, Scott Rudin for bringing us this novel and giving us the opportunity to make the movie. I think whatever success we've had in this area has been entirely attributable to how selective we are. We've only adapted Homer and Cormac McCarthy, so thank you.

Ethan Coen:
We, uh and thank you very much.



CATEGORY: BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
SPEECH BY: PHILIPPE POLLET-VILLARD
FILM: "LE MOZART DES PICKPOCKETS (THE MOZART OF PICKPOCKETS)"
Thank you, thank you very much. I don't really speak English. I'm very bad student. I can say I'm very happy and I want to thank my producer Fabrice Goldstein and Antoine Rein and my wife Gaby and my son Sebastien. And merci beaucoups& [speaking French] Merci au revoir.


CATEGORY: BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
SPEECH BY: SUZIE TEMPLETON AND HUGH WELCHMAN
FILM: "PETER & THE WOLF"
Suzie Templeton:
This is for everyone. This for our fantastic crew and this for everybody who worked so passionately on our film to make our dream come true.

Hugh Welchman:
Yeah, no this really is a fairy tale ending for us, but hopefully it's only the beginning for Peter and this amazing award, and it will help keep Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" in the hearts and minds of children all over the world. So, the Academy, thank you so much. it's been amazing.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN ART DIRECTION
SPEECH BY: "DANTE FERRETTI AND FRANCESCA LO SCHIAVO"
FILM: "SWEENEY TODD THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET"
Dante Ferretti:
Thank you to the Academy. And thank you to Tim Burton, fantastic director. Thank you to Richard Zanuck. Thank you to everybody, thank you to my team, all the department, everyone. Thank you, Johnny. And I'm sorry, i forgot something, but I'm very -- thank you anyway.

Francesca Lo Schiavo:
Just i would like to say, this time, thank you, thank you to the Academy. I'm so happy, so grateful. And thank you to Tim Burton. Great director. Johnny Depp and all the actors, Everybody, for this fantastic movie.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP
SPEECH BY: DIDIER LAVERGNE AND JAN ARCHIBALD
FILM: "LA VIE EN ROSE"
Didier Lavergne:
Thank you very much. Thank you to the Academy and what can I say? I'm really happy and proud to be here with you. Bye.

Jan Archibald:
Thank you to the academy for this huge honor. I'm overwhelmed. It's just amazing. I have a lot of people to thank. My assistants, particularly, my Czech crew that worked with us in Prague and in Paris, they were amazing. They worked very hard and I owe a lot to them. And just, it's so exciting to be here. I don't know what to
say. Thank you.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS
SPEECH BY: MICHAEL FINK, BILL WESTENHOFER, BEN MORRIS AND TREVOR WOOD
FILM: "THE GOLDEN COMPASS"
Michael Fink:
We just want to say "Thank you!" We just brought a small quote from Walt Disney, who said "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

And along with that, I want to extend some thanks to Phil Pullman, Chris Weitz, Susan MacLeod, our producers, our incredible crew from all over the world. And to especially to our families and to my wife, Melissa, my handsome son Alex.

Bill Westenhofer:
And to my family, Rhythm & Hues, Sue Rose out there watching this, Thank you.

Ben Morris:
Thank you to my family and my wonderful crew at Framestore CFC.

Trevor Wood:
A great crew and a great family. Thank you very much indeed.

Ben Morris:
Thank you!


CATEGORY: BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM OF THE YEAR
SPEECH BY: BRAD BIRD
FILM: "RATATOUILLE"
I think I'm gonna throw up, too. I want to thank the Academy and I also want to thank my junior high guidance counselor for a meeting we had where he asked me, "What do you want to do with your life?" And I said, "I want to make movies." And he said, "What else do you want to do with your life?" And I said, "Make movies," and he said, "What if you couldn't make movies," and I said, "I'd find a
way that I could."

"What if movies didn't exist?"

"I'd have to invent them." And it went on like this until we were sick of each other and i only realized just recently that he gave me the perfect training for the movie business. So, I want to thank my wife Liz, who I love, my sons, all the dreamers at Pixar and Disney, John Lasseter, Steve Jobs, Ed Catmull. Wrap it up. I hate that thing. Producer Brad Lewis, Jan Pinkava, and Dick Cook, and all the dreamers who are supporting a rat who dreams. Thanks.


CATEGORY: ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
SPEECH BY: ALEXANDRA BYRNE
FILM: "ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE"
Wow. Thank you to the Academy. Thank you to Working Title and Universal. To Shekhar and Cate. And a huge thank you to my brilliant team and to my family.

No comments: