Tuesday, April 18, 2006

TRISTAN AND ISOLDE
James Franco, Sophia Myles, Rufus Sewell

"Before Romeo and Juliet there was ... Tristan & Isolde

Cinema 4, Edsa Shang Cineplex

Tristan & Isolde

I had no idea what this movie was about except that it is a love story. Normally I would have done my 'research' about a certain movie before I decide whether it is worth watching on the big screen or just wait to rent it from the local video store. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself actually liking this period film. It might be the fact that Rufus Sewell who I've long been a fan of (I believe he is one of the most underrated actors in the cinema world) was in it. But I have to say I'm not a fan of a certain genre of period movies. Films like "Excalibur", "Braveheart", "King Arthur". Anything that has to do with Merlin and wizardry. But it doesn't mean I won't watch them, I still do but I don't particularly like the genre, per se. Well anyways, this is indeed a forbidden love story between an Anglo Saxon knight and an Irish princess who becomes his ehem aunt. Set during the times after the Romans left the Celtic part of the world and where Ireland ruled over most of England. Quite ironic since nowadays it is the other way around. Heh.
As most forbidden ill fated lovers saga go, it has all the standard elements present - the intense passion, the lovers sneaking around to satisfy their lust, their guilty conscience and the aggrieved 'he doesn't have a clue' third party character. Beautiful cinematography, authentic wardrobe depicting the era, furious battle scenes, Rufus Sewell and a young refreshing actress Sophia Myles (who looks like a younger prettier version of Kate Winslet) portraying Isolde all make this movie quite enjoyable. The only 'flaw' would be James Franco who I mistakenly thought was Hayden Christensen (of "Star Wars" fame) when I first saw the trailer - he is rather wooden. I don't know for some strange reason, I always found him in no matter what roles he portrays ("Spider Man", "James Dean") rather bland!

No comments: