Wednesday, September 6, 2006

"THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA"

Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt, Stanley Tucci, Adrian Grenier, Simon Baker

Miranda Priestly

Cinema 4, Shang Cineplex

My 10 main points about this movie:
1. I never read the book. Fortunately, I'm not into chick lit.

2. I think that Miranda Priestly was quite a reasonable boss. She is the editor of a fashion magazine for Pete's sake. Of course she will be a tyrant. It is a very stressful job. I don't think she was 'devilish' at all.

3. Size 6 is considered fat??? What on earth would I be then? Oh wait I know I'm a beached whale but then I don't work in the fashion industry either so bygones .... I don't really care.

4. I'm not a glam fashion conscious gal. I wouldn't know what it would feel like to wear Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo shoes. Nor can I tell if a bag was made by Marc Jacobs let alone what style/type of bag it is. So I didn't get all giddy over the fashion accessories shown in the movie.

5. Anne Hathaway is pretty in an elongated way. I mean she is tall, has flawless skin with a perky nose to boot. It was hard for me to believe she was this naive little fashion victim.

6. Meryl Streep was perfect for the role. Once in a while a role comes along where she is quite subdued and won't go into dramatic histrionics because come on you have to admit she tends to 'over act', sometimes. Her steely gaze in an attempt to appear 'devilish' achieved its purpose yet deep down you can also clearly see it was just a facade. Miranda is just like any normal human being who just wants to balance her successful career with a stable family life. Meryl Streep's portrayal gave Miranda Priestly a lot more personality. She wasn't merely just a cliche fashion editor. Good job!

7. Why is it that whenever a woman does good in her career, the main man in her life would feel insecure, whine and complain to death? Shouldn't they be happy for her? Pfft Men!!!

8. Paris is my favorite city in the whole world so it was really great that the film had some Parisian scenes. Never mind if it was mainly indoor shots, at least they showed the Eiffel Tower in all its glory so I was pleased as punch.

9. Stanley Tucci as the kind hearted gay art director was adorable. But then he always plays these sympathetic characters you can't help but silently cheer for.

10. "Dream a Little Dream of Me" by Beautiful South was sang in French and it is titled "Les Yeux Ouverts" [Opened Eyes]. I hope that despite the hectic fashion runways, the tall lanky models, the chic designer clothes and Miranda Priestly's arched eyebrows - people would clearly see the true essence of this film. A feel good tale of a naive young woman who never lost focus on what she really wanted to do with her life and went for it. Even if it meant she would wear her frumpy sweaters to work everyday.
Way to go, girl!

No comments: