Sunday, September 7, 2008

BECAUSE I SAID SO

BECAUSE I SAID SO
Diane Keaton, Mandy Moore, Lauren Graham, Gabriel Macht, Tom Everett Scott, Piper Perabo, Stephen Collins


"She's just your normal, overprotective, overbearing, over the top mother"





Boy oh boy Daphne Wilder (Diane Keaton) was a really overbearing mother, indeed! Gosh. She puts an ad online seeking guys to date her youngest daughter, Milly. Because she was afraid Milly would end up just like her. Lonely and alone. Then she rejects Johnny because he is not worthy enough for her daughter. While she orchestrates a chance meeting for Jason, her choice to bump into Milly. On the other hand Milly meets a guy on her own who turns out to be Johnny, the one rejected by her mother. So she ends up dating two guys at the same time. Guys with contrasting personalities in every sense of the word. It sounds complicated but it isn't. It is just pretty lame, if you ask me.

An average romantic comedy (with several not so funny moments) that doesn't quite fare well in my books. The plot was pretty daft and predictable with no major conflicts to throw you off the path.

Diane Keaton has unfortunately stumbled into motherly roles where she tends to exaggerate, over act and gets quite annoying. The rest of the cast like Lauren Graham, Stephen Collins merely acted as decorative pieces on a Christmas tree. Mandy Moore is probably miscast because I'm sure with her looks, she won't have trouble finding guys on her own.

I was quite disappointed with this film because I expected an intelligent mother daughter bonding moment flick. Instead we were subjected to Diane Keaton's pathetic antics. Now I'm thankful I didn't catch it at the cinema, I would have wasted money for a film best seen on TV. Or better yet not seen at all!

No comments: