Monday, July 13, 2009

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN

Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro


"Revenge is coming"


Cinema 11, SM Megamall



Sci-fi themed movies are not my cup of tea. So I didn't watch the first installment of this very noisy film. So those Decepticons, Autobots and all those other machines transforming themselves into ermm talking robots all seemed the same to me. My sister was kind enough to explain whether the machines were Decepticons or Autobots yet I wasn't particularly invested in the film. So much so that despite the high level of deafening audio decibel with all those metals clashing against each other, I fell asleep during certain parts of the film. Heh. I was probably tired after all that shopping and it didn't help that it was the last full show.

But I was able to more or less decipher the fact that the Decepticons were out for a showdown with the Autobots after their side was defeated in the battle to take over Earth in the previous film. Sam (Shia LaBeouf) who just started college once again finds himself right smack in the center of the main battle. He is still ably supported by his gorgeous girlfriend Mikaela (Megan Fox) who can still look attractive under extremely stressful situations. Not fair!

Well despite my non interest in the machines battle for supremacy, there were simply too many of them for me to absorb. I'd have to say the computer effects were top notch. Big production sets and wide angled shots of beautiful scenery was the norm. The dialogue had its share of funny lines courtesy of John Turturro, a talented actor. The plot had a good blend of loud action sequences, a tinge of romance and very well choreographed battle scenes (even though most of them were computer generated) in panoramic settings. I also like how they presented the history of the machines from eons of years ago till modern times. The narration about their origin sort of made sense for the sake of the movie. Although it is really a preposterous idea for reality's sake. Thankfully it is just a movie!

So yes, I did enjoy this film purely for its entertainment value in true Hollywood blockbuster style.

No comments: