Sunday, November 13, 2005

URBAN COWBOY
John Travolta, Debra Winger, Scott Glenn

"Hard hat days and Honky-Tonk nights"


Urban Cowboy


I totally blame my insomnia for actually lasting through this movie which I caught on HBO. A very young John Travolta plays a redneck cowboy who goes to the big city to find a job. Instead, he finds a woman to marry and gets obsessed with winning the mechanical bull contest at the local pub. Sure, he gets a job too thanks in part to his Uncle Bob. The film is peppered with a lot of country songs so that gives John Travolta enough music to display his slick dancing moves. I must admit, the guy is a good dancer! Debra Winger who has such a refreshing face plays Sissy. The woman who captures his heart and becomes his wife. They separate midway through the movie, hook up with other partners but towards the end get back together because they really love each other. Boy, she sure can ride that mechanical bull too. I believe this film was done during John Travolta's heydays. That whole period after his success with Saturday Night Live. Then he faded away. But was thankfully resurrected by Quentin Tarantino in Pulp Fiction.
It is a forgetful country movie but now I can't seem to get the catchy song "Lookin' for love" by Johnny Lee out of my mind. Gosh!
I spent a lifetime lookin' for you
Single bars and good time lovers were never true
Playing a fools game, hopin' to win
Tellin' those sweet lies and losin' again.

I was lookin' for love in all the wrong places
Lookin' for love in too many faces
Searchin' her eyes, lookin' for traces
Of what I'm dreamin' of
Hoping to find a friend and a lover
I'll bless the day I discover,
You - lookin' for love.

No comments: